Saturday, August 11, 2007

Catchup Post

Saturday Morning--- Wow, we've been busy and HAVING FUN!

Wednesday morning, Ron got to experience a private tour of the MACGREGOR SAILBOAT factory in Costa Mesa. It was a near religious experience! We had the address, and sorta knew where to look, so with Chari on the phone to Aunt Nan, they were able to point me in the right direction.

On the drive over, I had visions of Chevy Chase in the movie Vacation, where he takes his family across the country, only to find Wally World closed. So like Chevy, I stopped and bought a bb pistol, in case I needed to use force to see the plant!

The office building is a non-descript 2 story one, with no name on the front.We could see the new sailboats in the rear, so we knew it was the right place. Walked in, and no one was in the downstairs area, so we walked up the staircase, and ONE guy was in an office. "Hey Mister, we're from Kansas, can you show us around your factory PLEASE."

Bill (who I'd read on sailing websites is the Mac guy you want to talk to at the plant) said SURE, so he walked Chari and I through the multiple buildings where the boats are made. Mostly, it's hand layup of fiberglass, and routing of openings using cutout jigs. From my manufacturing days, it was a double pleasure to see both boats and manufacturing processes.

I put in my plea that the next model they make needs to be a 30 ft (current largest is 26), swing keel (don't have now) using the layout of their former model, the "X". Bill politely listened, and commented about models only being changed every 5-10 years, so I know it won't happen, but I tried. This was one of the highpoints of the trip so far for me!

After a light lunch, we headed up the 405 to El Segundo. Ya know, there's a WHOLE LOT of people in LA, and although we figured at 1PM on a Wednesday, the 405 would be almost empty, it was NOT. I suppose some folks just seize what they think is a light traffic time to drive and drive and drive, cuz there sure were a lot of folks out!

At one point, Nan had told us we could take 605 (IIRC) as it might cut a little time from our route. But after considering crossing 6 or so lanes of traffic to exit, then merging onto a new freeway, then crossing 6 or so lanes to get back to the carpool lane, we decided we'd just stay on the 405 carpool lane. Made it to El Segundo and was easy to find Nan's condo as we'd been here before a few times.

Weather here is NICE: 60's at night, maybe 80's in the day. Very pleasant, considering it's 100+ in KS now.

Thursday we did some work around the condo for Nan. She had some fluoresent bulbs that needed changing in the kitchen, her computer desk modified, and some software tweeks to her new PC (which I'm using now), and replaced the door bell button. (Don't tell nobody--you're supposed to have a professional electrician do any electrical work here!)

Did I mention we are eating WELL! We went to a 50's style restaurant north of here, called Dinah's. Their specialty is Apple pancakes, only they taste closer to apple pie than pancakes. Think they are cooked in dutch ovens or such. They tell you it takes 25 for them to bake. I'm trying to beg Nan to take us back there Monday.....................................

Nan grilled salmon steaks last night--wonderful!

Her friend and co-worker Bert came over--she a character and fun to visit with; she's originally from KC, MO.

Well, I'm sure I've forgotten something important to write about. But we are having FUN!

Morale: EXCELLENT!

Ron

No comments: